Sunday, March 29, 2009

Surgery Pictures

Many of you already know my "interesting" stories from the day of my surgery, so I will try not to repeat them all here. I am not even sure "interesting" though is quite the word for them! :) Hmmmm. :)

First off, let me just say that my surgeon did an excellent job and I am healing well! Grateful for that! And since having my gallbladder out, I no longer have the horrible sharp pains in my stomach from the gallstones!

All that said though, I was not at all prepared for how painful surgery was going to be! I remember waking up in the recovery room and half-deliriously saying to the nurse, "Why did I do this surgery?" Wow......"ouch" is certainly not adequate enough! It was at least good to be reminded of how necessary it was though when she said, "Hey, I saw your gallbladder when it came out and it definitely needed to go!"

The day-of was horrible..... surgery was a couple hours late, I woke up from it so nauseous that they ran out of the different options they could do for me to make me feel better, they wouldn't let Doug come and see me in the recovery room (so I had do be in there for hours before I eventually got to see him), I had to wait forever for them to get a room ready for me and transport me, and they tried to take my water away from me when I finally got up to my room for the night (although Doug and Becky hid it for me....Hehehe.)

We got to the hospital that morning at 8:30 am and I didn't get to see my hubby until 7:00 pm! He was so precious though because he kept calling the recovery room asking the nurse when he would be able to see me. After them holding me captive for several hours, he was about to come break the doors down and rescue his hurting little princess! :) I was so worked up when I finally did get to see him that the first thing I said to him was, "Honey, I need you to spend the night with me!" We had already decided ahead of time that he wouldn't do that because he has had major problems with his back for months now and it would be way too painful for him. But guess what? My caring hubby stayed the night with me in a little cot alongside my bed!

As Doug spent something like 10 hours in the hospital waiting for me, he had wonderful friends encourage him! Our good friend Dave Schmitt came and ate with him and then joined him in a walk around the hospital. Then our good friend Beck came and waited with him until they could both see me. And he also had several family members and friends that called to check on how we were both doing.

When they wheeled me into my room that night, I not only saw Doug's awesome face, but my good friend Becky's! She brought me some beautiful Gerber Daisies (which happen to be my most favorite type of flower), and two things she knows I just love: Junior Mints and Twizzlers! :) She also brought Doug some Cherry Bites! :) At one point, she called our kingdom group (they meet on Thursday nights) and I got to hear them all tell me hi, they missed me, etc. It was great!

Yes, I will admit that I was absolutely crazy to go to church last Sunday when I had just had my surgery on Thursday. All I will say is that I definitely regretted it. :)

So how am I doing now? Much better! I still am in pain (hurts to move, walk, etc) but the pain gets a little less each day. My stomach is definitely still swollen (I have felt like I am pregnant because of it), but the swelling has definitely decreased. Last night when I was at my friend Becky's birthday party, my walking was a little faster and looked a little less waddling-like, I was standing straighter, and could actually sit in an upright chair!

We have so appreciated the visits, the food, the cards, etc!

Here are some pictures......sorry about the quality, but they were taken on the cell phone.



Pre-surgery

Doug on his cot
Post Surgery
My Gerber Daisies

0 comments: